Prior to the Great Wars, the world had been filled with all sorts of magical creatures. After the Great Wars, the majority of the magical creatures had died or fled to the Spirit Lands (a realm separate from the world). One day, when L'avan was exploring the mountains near their home, he discovered a gateway between the two worlds. The guardians of the gateway were the Serraf (beautiful and immortal women with magical powers) and their companions, the Rashad (large, intelligent felines that can talk). Eleven of the Serraf gave up their immortality to return with L'avan, and they became the brides to his eleven sons.
Adesina and her people are descendants of those twenty-two people, and they call themselves L'avan in honor of the father of their race. All of the L'avan have two hair colors that indicate their family lines. The main color is inherited from their father's patriarchal line, and the locks around their face are the color of their mother's patriarchal line.
Kind of like this:
* Gold--inherited from L'aslo, the first orphan to be adopted by L'avan. He had some magic in his blood, and that's why his hair was a metallic color. He was the leader of the sons of L'avan, and his descendants are now royalty.
* Silver--inherited from Ed'mon, who also had magic in his family history. He was the best warrior of the sons of L'avan, and his descendants are usually Protectors. (He was the last orphan adopted by L'avan.)
* Bronze--inherited from So'phus, who was the third and last son of L'avan to have magic in his blood. He was known for his wisdom, and his descendants are often Royal Advisors. (He was the fifth orphan adopted.)
* Black--inherited from Za'far, the second son of L'avan.
* White--inherited from B'osli, the tenth son of L'avan.
* Brown--inherited from M'os, the sixth son of L'avan.
* Blonde--inherited from Na'cum, the ninth son of L'avan.
* Red--inherited from Cre'sin, the seventh son of L'avan.
* Honey--inherited from O'nan, the third son of L'avan.
* Auburn--inherited from Gi'tel, the fourth son of L'avan.
* Strawberry Blonde--inherited from Kay'l, the eighth son of L'avan.
The metallic eye colors of the L'avan (as discussed in a previous blog post) were inherited from the Serraf, and indicate magical ability. That ability can only be passed through the women of the L'avan. So, if a L'avan man were to marry a woman outside of their race, their children would have no magical potential. However, if a L'avan woman married a man outside their race, their children would have the potential for magical ability. There would be no guarantee for that ability, but there would be the possibility.