Saturday, May 7, 2011

Heart List: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

I find I have to be careful with Japanese animated movies. Some of them are amazing, others are...well, bad. Really bad. I try to be open-minded, though, because I don't want to miss out on the gems that are hiding among the dross. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is definitely a gem. My husband suggested it, and I can usually trust his judgment. The story follows Makoto, a seventeen-year-old girl who discovers the ability to travel through time. She also finds the consequences to be different than what she could have imagined. The story is funny and moving, and the characters are easy to like. My only critique is a scene where Makoto is running to meet a friend...and running...and running...and running. Seriously, it went on way too long. I get it, she's running. Let's move on. Other than that, it was very well done. If you tend to watch foreign films with voice dubbing, I can't give you any insight to the performance of the voice actors. I always watch them in the original language, with subtitles. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment