Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Heart List: Elizabeth Gaskell


It seems to me that most of the female readers that I know set Jane Austen up as the golden standard for classic literature. While I do enjoy Austen's work as an author, I always suggest that they try reading something by Elizabeth Gaskell. Her works cover a larger variety of situations and societies, and the tragedies in her personal life give heart-felt depth to her style of writing. I have read two of her more famous novels: "North and South" and "Wives and Daughters," both of which were excellent. I plan on reading "Cranford" and "Ruth" next. I thoroughly enjoy Mrs. Gaskell's skills as a storyteller, and I find her writing to be engaging and beautiful. 

I love finding "new" authors, and I assume that others are the same. I am certain that there are many authors out there that I have yet to discover, and when I do, I will share them with all of my reading friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment