Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Line

Whenever I watch a movie, there is a place in my mind where I draw the line between what I'm willing to believe and when I refuse to follow anymore. Seems reasonable, right? The problem is that I tend to draw that line in weird places. My husband often teases me about it. For example, we were watching the most recent incarnation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I said, "Power lines don't bend like that. They'd break before doing that." My husband replied, "There are giant turtles doing 15 foot vertical jumps, and you are unwilling to believe the power lines?" Yeah, I guess so. I'm not saying it makes sense, it's just what happens in my brain. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World--defeated evil ex's turning into coins? That's fine. Singing demons? No way! Star Trek (the new one)--unexpected supernova? Not if they know anything about astronomy! Everything else? Sure! These are just a few examples, but I do it with every movie I see. I wonder if it gives some sort of psychological insight into my mind...


PS- I'm wondering the kind of impression I've given of myself by the movie examples I used. I promise I'm a more well-rounded movie-goer than what this blog entry might imply! I recently watched a PG13 version of The King's Speech, and it was awesome. See? Different genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment