Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Originality



I have not been to a bookstore in quite a while, mostly because I find the desire to buy an armful of books irresistible. However, while passing some time between engagements on Saturday, my husband and I decided to wander around a nearby bookstore (only to look, I promised him). 

As I strolled through the Fiction & Literature section (which, by the way, is a stupid and useless category that needs to be split up), I began to notice several books that were continuations of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Not just one or two, mind you. There were at least a dozen. 

I understand, for example, if George Lucas wants to hire someone to write a book version of Star Wars: Phantom Menace for him; or even if someone wants to take a myth or legend such as one of King Arthur or Robin Hood, and write their own twist on it.  This is different. This is nothing more than taking somebody else’s idea and making money off of it. 

I admit that I probably wouldn’t be so outraged if I didn’t care about the original book, but I feel like all these “writers” have taken a piece of literature that I loved when I was growing up and turned it into a prostitute. 

Melodramatic? Perhaps, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong. 

I remember days when authors created stories and wrote them in a way that swept away the imagination of the reader. Now it seems that any person who has a basic grasp of language can slap together some half-formed idea (or a prostituted version of someone else’s idea) and call it literature. 

Just because people can write doesn’t mean that they are writers. I can draw an awesome stick figure, but does that make me an artist? By today’s standards, I guess so. I know I can rant about this until I’m blue in the face, and it won’t change what is happening to modern literature. Still, it’s called creative writing, people. How about showing some creativity and originality?

1 comment:

  1. i feel the same way. i mean, pride and prejudice and zombies is one thing. but i find it hard to go into bookstores these days, merely because i know what i'll find. it's a little disheartening. i feel your pain! :(

    ReplyDelete