Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Language Snob?

It seems like I'm always getting sent links to blogs and articles that are about self-improvement or deep thoughts or reflections on our culture (the American culture, that is). Some of them are interesting, and some of them seem a bit pretentious. Regardless of how I feel about the over-all subject of the piece, I have found that it immediately loses all credibility in my mind if I see an error in the writing.

I'm not talking about the misuse of a comma, or the neglect of capitalization. Such errors are so common that people don't even consider them mistakes anymore (deep sigh of regret). No, I'm talking about food blogs where they post recipes that call for 1 pound of "meet." Or people who write about their favorite "past time." Or when there is discussion about a media "hay day."

Really, people? Really?

It's not like I'm asking people to know the difference between "who" and "whom." And I'm not even saying that my own grammar is golden. But can Americans really not bother to remember that there's a difference between "lose" and "loose?"

I figure, if you're going to take the time to write something, why not make it something you can be proud of? Why not make sure that it is the very best representation of what you have to offer?

Does this make me a language snob? Or simply a reasonably educated person with expectations of her peers?

No comments:

Post a Comment