Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Motherhood

I'm tired of my country's society telling me that motherhood is a bad thing--or, at the very least, that it is unfortunate. I am baffled at all of the so-called feminists that disdain everything that it is to be a woman--all of the uniquely feminine traits--and strive instead to act like men. There is nothing wrong with a woman having a career (my own mother was a full-time nurse from the time I was small), and some women simply choose not to have any children. That is their choice. However, I cannot understand how any woman could view motherhood with such derision.

Mothers shape the future of our world, and they have done so since the beginning of time--for good or for ill. The influence of mothers (or the sad lack) can be seen in every corner of the planet. Yes, it is hard, and yes, it takes great sacrifice. Most worthwhile things have that in common. I just cannot abide the attitude that a woman only becomes a mother when she has no other good options in her life--that it is a lesser path to take.

I am intelligent, well-educated, and talented. I could have done anything with my life, and I have done many wonderful things. But the thing I have always wanted most was to be a mother.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Callie! I agree with you one hundred percent. What is a world coming to that no longer values the divinity and importance of families and Motherhood??

    ReplyDelete