Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pet Names

I have nothing against pet names. A number of important people in my life call me by various pet names, and it's an endearing way to refer to each other. However, I hate it when strangers call me "sweetie," or "honey," or "darling," or any such term. What gives them the right to takes such liberties? I'm not joking, either. It's a serious affront to my sense of propriety. I don't know you! What makes you think you can treat me in such a familiar fashion? I only let the people I love refer to me in such a way. The only exception I make is for old people. They can get away with it, but that's just because they're cute and old (creepy old men are excluded from this rule). If a high school student calls me "love" (which actually happened once), I get the urge to give my coldest glare and tell them to only call me by my given name. I will admit that I'm rather old-fashioned, but it's not like I'm requiring people to call me Ms. Kanno. All I'm asking is that there be some respect in how people treat those around them. That includes not calling complete strangers by pet names.

No comments:

Post a Comment